Skip to main content

Unmentionables through the Decades - Project Announcement


Unmentionables. Smalls. Underthings. Lingerie. Underwear. Intimates. Whatever the name, everybody wears them (if you don't, I don't need to know). I love all the little frilly, girly bits of lace and soft cottons and smooth silks. So this year, I plan to make a set of underthings for every decade of the 20th century. Each decade will have a dedicated blog with a pattern review and photos. I will also be posting on Instagram regularly. This will be a chance to improve my sewing skills, especially in working with lace and fine finishing work. I feel I have a solid grasp of the basics, and would love to make more heirloom quality pieces. Also, this project will lay the foundation for any 20th century costumes I want to sew in the future. Half the work will already be done. Plus, it just makes me happy to sew pretty things. And that's enough reason.

The only garment I plan to purchase will be my 1900 corset, and a 1910 corset, if possible. Thankfully for my budget, corsets fall out of fashion rather quickly after 1920. I don't really have an interest in learning to sew proper corsets right now, and would rather spend my valuable sewing time doing projects I enjoy. Historically, corset making was considered a separate occupation then dress making. And I will be regarding it as such for the purpose of this project.

I will be using patterns from a wide variety of companies. I have plans for at least one project each from Simplicity, Butterick, McCall's, and Vogue. There will almost certainly be more then one from each company, when it's all said and done. I do own several true vintage lingerie patterns from the '70s and '80s that I hope to use. Also, I have several patterns from independent pattern companies planned. Patterns for underthings aren't widely available in “The Big Four” for all periods (they offer very few modern styles, let alone vintage), so I will have to search out reproductions. I plan to use patterns from Mrs. Depew on Etsy (all of her pattern illustrations are drool-worthy), as well as Reconstructing History, and maybe Folkwear.

The exact projects for each decade will very, depending on fashions of the time and availability of patterns. For the '30s, for example, I made a two piece set (blog coming next week!). Actual underwear hasn't changed much in the past 30 years. So for the '80s, I have an original pattern from the era for a nightgown and robe.

A secondary goal for this project is to stash bust as much as possible. I have a huge stash of fabric, even after a major declutter session a few months ago. Small items such as bras and camisoles will use up small lengths of fabric that I love, and get them out of the stash.

In the future, I hope to continue this project, reaching even further back in time. Maybe one set for each century from the 1200s to the 1800s? That will definitely take more time and a budget, especially the 15th to the 19th centuries. So. Many. Layers.

I am SO excited for this project! I hope you will enjoy following this journey. Bring on this new year!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bow-Tie Necklet

Are you, dear reader, in the mood for some winter accessories? Or, like me, are you already anxious for spring to arrive? The only good thing about winter is the cute accessories, I always say. I have a big canvas basket full of scarves, gloves, mittens, and hats. I have a black and also a purple peacoat. Plus my dramatic leopard print fleece cape, which I have previously discussed. Simply put, I don't like to be boring with my accessorizing. It is my only source of cheer and happiness when preparing for a cold winter's day. Ok, enough with the dramatics. On with the subject of today's blog. I knit this up several years ago. This is what the pattern calls a “Bow-Tie Necklet”. It is a scarf, but not in a traditional long rectangle shape. One end is pulled through a loop on the opposite side, forming a sort of bow tie. I have seen several examples in mid century photos of similar knit scarves that seem to have been made the same way. Of course, I forgot to save them/

Disney's The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Blue Dress

    Anyone who has spent more than 3 minutes with me knows I'm obsessed with Disney. My three favorite movies are Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin. So for Halloween 2011, I made a version of Ariel's blue dress. She wears during "Kiss the Girl" scene and when they are riding in the carriage around Eric's kingdom. . It was fairly easy to make. I used McCall's 4090 (View A), a simple skirt with a waistband. For the bodice/over corset, I used another McCall's, 4861 (view A). I didn't want side lacing, so I just traced each of the four pieces separately, then taped them together at the sides, overlapping the seam allowance. This left me with the back lacing only. When it was assembled, I roughly "eye-balled" the sweetheart-shaped neckline and cut it out. The shirt was made with Simplicity 3677. I just added cuffs to the sleeves instead of elastic. A couple things I lea

Reconstructing History RH017

This is review of RH017, 14th Century Kirtle or  Cotehardie. (Link to buy this patten at the end) I ordered it to make a new dress for the 2015 Medieval Fair of Norman. I had been playing a princess for many years, but decided on changing it up this year. I wanted to be a Bard, a poet/singer/general performer. Naturally, I could not wear the Princess gowns of years past.  It came in a timely fashion. I knew it had a booklet of historical notes, I didn't know it was going to come with a textbook! Seriously, this booklet is 15 pages long (including historical notes, bibliography, actual construction, and a section on period stiches) and is in an easy to digest format. The pattern is on regular paper, not the usual tissue paper, which I appreciated. I had trouble with setting the sleeves, but it was my own fault. I made it oversized purposefully to adjust down to my exact size, and didn't quite adjust the sleeves to match correctly the first time. My own fault. I will post