Skip to main content

Disney's The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Blue Dress



























    Anyone who has spent more than 3 minutes with me knows I'm obsessed with Disney. My three favorite movies are Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin. So for Halloween 2011, I made a version of Ariel's blue dress. She wears during "Kiss the Girl" scene and when they are riding in the carriage around Eric's kingdom.

image
.

















It was fairly easy to make. I used McCall's 4090 (View A), a simple skirt with a waistband.
M4090
For the bodice/over corset, I used another McCall's, 4861 (view A). I didn't want side lacing, so I just traced each of the four pieces separately, then taped them together at the sides, overlapping the seam allowance. This left me with the back lacing only. When it was assembled, I roughly "eye-balled" the sweetheart-shaped neckline and cut it out.
M4861

The shirt was made with Simplicity 3677. I just added cuffs to the sleeves instead of elastic.



A couple things I learned:
1. People will NOT know you are Ariel unless you have  RED hair, and I mean red. Seems obvious, but strawberry blond or auburn will not work. So I will be getting a red wig sometime.
2. Give me a princess dress, and I will squeal just as excitedly as any little girl. Literally, I couldn't help help but give a yelp of glee the first time I wore it.

There will definitely will be more Princess dresses coming!


Comments

  1. About how much fabric did you end up using? I'm thinking about making this dress for Dragoncon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was several years ago, so I don't remember exactly. My size called for 5 yards, so I think that's what I bought. I had maybe half a yard left over. You should be able to do it with a little less then the pattern calls for if your fabric is a solid and you place the pattern pieces close together. Hope that helps.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bow-Tie Necklet

Are you, dear reader, in the mood for some winter accessories? Or, like me, are you already anxious for spring to arrive? The only good thing about winter is the cute accessories, I always say. I have a big canvas basket full of scarves, gloves, mittens, and hats. I have a black and also a purple peacoat. Plus my dramatic leopard print fleece cape, which I have previously discussed. Simply put, I don't like to be boring with my accessorizing. It is my only source of cheer and happiness when preparing for a cold winter's day. Ok, enough with the dramatics. On with the subject of today's blog. I knit this up several years ago. This is what the pattern calls a “Bow-Tie Necklet”. It is a scarf, but not in a traditional long rectangle shape. One end is pulled through a loop on the opposite side, forming a sort of bow tie. I have seen several examples in mid century photos of similar knit scarves that seem to have been made the same way. Of course, I forgot to save them/

Reconstructing History RH017

This is review of RH017, 14th Century Kirtle or  Cotehardie. (Link to buy this patten at the end) I ordered it to make a new dress for the 2015 Medieval Fair of Norman. I had been playing a princess for many years, but decided on changing it up this year. I wanted to be a Bard, a poet/singer/general performer. Naturally, I could not wear the Princess gowns of years past.  It came in a timely fashion. I knew it had a booklet of historical notes, I didn't know it was going to come with a textbook! Seriously, this booklet is 15 pages long (including historical notes, bibliography, actual construction, and a section on period stiches) and is in an easy to digest format. The pattern is on regular paper, not the usual tissue paper, which I appreciated. I had trouble with setting the sleeves, but it was my own fault. I made it oversized purposefully to adjust down to my exact size, and didn't quite adjust the sleeves to match correctly the first time. My own fault. I will post