Skip to main content

1930's Bra and Taps-Unmentionables Through The Decades Project 1

YouTube video associated with this blog

For my first project in my “Unmentionables thru the Decades” project, I decided to start with the 1930s. This was really the decade when the fashions for underwear changed into the form we recognize today. In the '20s, they did have bras and panties more or less as we know them today. But they were really only popular with the very young and fashion forward ladies. More conservative ladies and older ladies still wore plenty of layers. Maybe not a true corset as we would call it today (more like a girdle), but basically everything else their fore bearers wore. But by the '30s, a much lighter style of underthings was worn more universally.

Here is a gorgeous example I found on Etsy. It has a similar style.



And here is mine!

I decided to begin this project with a gorgeous reproduction pattern, Simplicity 8510. It is a reprint of a bra and tap pants set pattern from the 1930s.




Are vintage pattern illustrations the best ever? Yes. Do I occasionally buy reprints just because of the pretty pictures on the envelope? Yes. No regrets? None.



For the bra (really a bralette), I used a scrap of light peach moire polyester from my stash. It's such a pretty fabric in person, but I don't know if it photographs accurately. I trimmed it with some pretty cream lace, with tiny pink roses and green leaves. Sadly, I have no idea where it came from. The pattern is mostly simple and straightforward. I did experience some confusion trying to understand which back edge was which. One back edge is to be stitched up and has a bit of elastic with the hooks sewn to it. And the other side to be left open at first, and then a small extension is added, to which the eyes are attached. I probably got that wrong. Just read and reread the directions, look at the illustrations, and maybe mark the left side back and right side back piece. And you should be fine.



I don't think I will be wearing this bra on a day-to-day basis. The shape, support, and coverage it provides is not equal to a modern bra. But for my purposes of costume wear and historic clothing study, it is perfect.





Sadly, I didn't have enough of the peach fabric to make the matching tap pants. I did have a piece of pink mystery fabric. It sews up beautifully, drapes so gracefully, and holds a crease like a dream. I was able to sew neat, tight seams with ease, especially the top-stitching. It is perhaps a vintage polyester faille? It is firmer and less slippery then a simple satin would be, but it did have a gorgeous sheen to it. I would love to find some more just like it. The details in this pattern are just delightful. I love the yoke on the front and back. And the buttons! So pretty, and so different from what we normally see today.


Again, I will not be wearing these under my civilian clothes. The waist is nice and tight to the body, but the lower legs are quite loose and flowy. Quite a different feeling than modern panties. Tap pants were their forerunners , and were quite popular from the 1920s to the 1940s (simply judging from the sheer number of reproduction patterns I found available).



Back in the 1930s, just like today, sets like this would usually be made to match. But I was working with what was available in my stash, and I still love the outcome.

Thanks for reading. Make time for creativity today!

Comments

  1. Thank you for this post! I'm working on my own bra today and your post really helped me understand some things better than the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help! Thank you for your kind words

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bow-Tie Necklet

Are you, dear reader, in the mood for some winter accessories? Or, like me, are you already anxious for spring to arrive? The only good thing about winter is the cute accessories, I always say. I have a big canvas basket full of scarves, gloves, mittens, and hats. I have a black and also a purple peacoat. Plus my dramatic leopard print fleece cape, which I have previously discussed. Simply put, I don't like to be boring with my accessorizing. It is my only source of cheer and happiness when preparing for a cold winter's day. Ok, enough with the dramatics. On with the subject of today's blog. I knit this up several years ago. This is what the pattern calls a “Bow-Tie Necklet”. It is a scarf, but not in a traditional long rectangle shape. One end is pulled through a loop on the opposite side, forming a sort of bow tie. I have seen several examples in mid century photos of similar knit scarves that seem to have been made the same way. Of course, I forgot to save them/

Disney's The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Blue Dress

    Anyone who has spent more than 3 minutes with me knows I'm obsessed with Disney. My three favorite movies are Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin. So for Halloween 2011, I made a version of Ariel's blue dress. She wears during "Kiss the Girl" scene and when they are riding in the carriage around Eric's kingdom. . It was fairly easy to make. I used McCall's 4090 (View A), a simple skirt with a waistband. For the bodice/over corset, I used another McCall's, 4861 (view A). I didn't want side lacing, so I just traced each of the four pieces separately, then taped them together at the sides, overlapping the seam allowance. This left me with the back lacing only. When it was assembled, I roughly "eye-balled" the sweetheart-shaped neckline and cut it out. The shirt was made with Simplicity 3677. I just added cuffs to the sleeves instead of elastic. A couple things I lea

Reconstructing History RH017

This is review of RH017, 14th Century Kirtle or  Cotehardie. (Link to buy this patten at the end) I ordered it to make a new dress for the 2015 Medieval Fair of Norman. I had been playing a princess for many years, but decided on changing it up this year. I wanted to be a Bard, a poet/singer/general performer. Naturally, I could not wear the Princess gowns of years past.  It came in a timely fashion. I knew it had a booklet of historical notes, I didn't know it was going to come with a textbook! Seriously, this booklet is 15 pages long (including historical notes, bibliography, actual construction, and a section on period stiches) and is in an easy to digest format. The pattern is on regular paper, not the usual tissue paper, which I appreciated. I had trouble with setting the sleeves, but it was my own fault. I made it oversized purposefully to adjust down to my exact size, and didn't quite adjust the sleeves to match correctly the first time. My own fault. I will post