Skip to main content

What if Mary Poppins came in 1890?

 My next big historical project is a 1890s Mary Poppins.We know that Mary Poppins returns every so often. And we know that the original Mary Poppins film is set in 1910. We can assume 17 Cherry Lane has been in the Banks’ family for a time. Maybe she visited the Banks’ neighbor children in 1890 when George Banks was in his early 20s? Let’s say she met George at that time and knew that she needed to keep her eye on him and his family.

The Belle Epoch is not a period I’ve studied a lot, but I love it. It’s a perfect blend of the Bustle styles that came before and the Edwardian style that followed. My Constance Hatchaway is loosely inspired by this period.

For the skirt, I used Butterick 5970. I bought some beautiful Gray Herringbone Striped Wool from Burnley and Trowbridge. Sadly, it’s sold out now.  I hope it comes back in stock so I can make a matching jacket at some point. Probably the Eton jacket from Truly Victorian. A good portion of the fashion plates from this period that I found online featured matching skirts and jackets. And I loved the look.

The skirt has multiple layers. I cut the wool according to the pattern, Next, I basted the wool to a layer of tarlatan. The skirt is quite large, so that was no easy task. Tarlatan today is mostly used for cleaning the plates in the printing industry, but was used as interfacing in the Victorian and Edwardian periods. It’s a cheesecloth stiffened with glue. Not machine washable, unfortunately. The glue will wash out if it gets wet. I bought quite a bit of the tarlatan and used most of it. This skirt is a fabric eater, I tell you. Once the wool and the tarlatan were basted together, I ran it through the serger to make a clean edge. I should have added the lining before I serged it. Tarleton is rough and scratchy and really does need a lining. Even though I will be wearing petticoats with this skirt. I backed each panel of the skirt with a lining of plain black cotton. I trimmed the skirt simply with some black satin ribbon in horizontal rows. Perhaps my next big skirt will be decorated more elaborately, but I do like how this one turned out. 

And I love how the silver “pleather” belt looks. I used the Edwardian Dip-Waist Belt pattern from Truly Victorian, size G (I think). It was fiddly and annoying, but the finished result is beautiful. Basically, I cut the pattern pieces out of the silver pleather, the tarlatan, and a plain cotton lining. I attached the tarlatan to the wrong side of the pleather, using fabric glue.  I folded the pleather on all sides and topstitched the edges down. Finally, I hand stitched the lining on the inside.  I’m not quite sure if the Victorians would have had shiny, silver leather, but I love it. And Mary is not exactly a regular person now, is she? She follows her own fashion rules.


Yours in hard work, creativity, and a dash of Pixie Dust


Sarah







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pirate Belle, part 2

YouTube video associated with this blog The base pieces for this costume are not complicated. I used Simplicity 3677 for the blouse and the pants. The fabric I bought at Joann Fabrics and was exactly what I was hoping to find. It's a light and airy cotton gauze-type fabric. Also, I am in love with the delicate lace I found at Hobby Lobby that I used to trim the wrists. The blouse has elastic bands at the cuffs and a drawstring neckline. It is incredibly over sized, but the fabric gathers under corsets and pants nicely because it was so soft and light. The pants are a tan corduroy and also have elastic in the cuffs. (Did I mention Historical Accuracy TM was not a priority for this costume?) I still think it's beautiful. And now, for a few accessories. These make or break a costume, especially for a pirate. So many little things must be present for the costume to really say “Pirate”. This little hat was such a blast to create. I used a Yaya Han pattern, McCall's 7643. It ha...

In My Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room Dress

My Youtube video associated with this blog post  I am very pleased to present my Tiki Room dress. The Dress Shop brand from Disney has a 1950's-inspired sundress in this fabric. I do like it, but I don't wear sleeveless dresses. So, I thought I would make my own in a slightly different style. I still wanted a vintage dress, with a tropical vibe as was popular mid century. After much deliberation, I decided on Butterick 5880. It's a reprint of a 1951 pattern. I was so anxious to begin this dress. I don't know why exactly. It's not like I'm heading to Disney any time soon. But sometimes I just “get a bee in my bonnet”, as they say. And I can't do anything else until I scratch that itch. So I thoroughly cleaned my sewing studio, AKA the corner of my bedroom, and set to work. For my first run, I used a 101 Dalmatians bed sheet from the thrift store. It's old and worn, but it was less than $2 and it's a big piece of fabric. For my mock-ups, I don't ...

1950's Garter Belt-Unmentionables Through The Decades

YouTube associated with this blog post: https://youtu.be/e5Vf3-DzxFo For the 1950's, I thought I'd make something a lot more sassy then I usually sew. I've had this pattern for at least 6 or 7 years. It was too advanced for me at the time, but I fell in love with it and I bought it anyway. Mrs. Depew has the most beautiful patterns in her Etsy. She takes vintage patterns, many from French magazines, and makes the, available to all. There are many patterns in her shop I'd love to make. For this project, I used two of them. They are #2002 1950's Garter Belt Corselet ( http://mrsdepew.com/lingerie-patterns/corsets/french-corset-garter-belt.html ) and #2001 French Bra Corselet ( http://mrsdepew.com/lingerie-patterns/brassieres/french-bra-corselet.html ). I will write about the former this week, and the later next week. These patterns are PDF downloads, which is very convenient. These come in only a few sizes and don't include seam allowances. I printed t...