Skip to main content

Snow White! The first layer for the first Disney Princess

 Princess Gowns are my jam. Disney cosplays are my favorite. So I thought it was high time I created a gown for Walt Disney’s original Princess, Snow White. But of course, me being me, I decided that I need a whole new set of underthings. In many clips of Disney park princesses, they seem to be wearing bloomers and petticoats with layers of ruffles. So, I decided to begin there. My usual sewing method recently has been to serge around all the edges of all pattern pieces, and then assemble them. It makes for a tidy interior, which I adore. A sewing teacher of mine once said that a nice, neat interior is a sign of a good sewist . And I have taken that to heart.


I spent $16 on serger and heavy duty threads. (Plus trim for the skirt, which will be discussed in a future blog.) I’m sure I didn’t even use 2 dollars’ worth of the thread.  I  And I was able to cut out this whole set from a yellow sheet I found for $4 at a thrift store. So let’s say this whole set only cost me six dollars. Not too bad, right?

Simplicity 2777 is the pattern I used for the bloomers. I slightly changed it, to add elastic at the cuffs. Drawstrings annoy me, so I avoid them as best as I can. The usual side seam is rotated to the front, for a design feature. I think it’s super cute. The pattern calls for trim on the seams, but I decided to embroider.  The embroidery is simple scallops, done on my sewing machine with heavy duty thread. Nothing too crazy. This pattern was simple and easy to follow. The waistband was a bit unnecessarily complicated, but I got through it. The front section is flat, but the back of the waistband is basically a casing for an elastic. So, it’s a little bulky. But under another skirt, it’s fine.

The petticoat is a circle skirt. I used the circle skirt calculator at  https://byhandlondon.com/pages/circle-skirt-app. It’s helpful and easy to understand. I made the petticoat as a test for the skirt of the final costume. I couldn’t decide between a ¾ or a full circle skirt. This helped me decide I did indeed want to make my final skirt a full circle.  To finish the top edge, I traced the top edge 2 inches down to create a facing pattern. I used an invisible zipper up the back. Let me tell you, it was a chore and a half to get this skirt cut out. Even with a moderately short hem, a full circle skirt is still quite a bit of fabric to handle. Fortunately, my roommate’s cat was quite helpful when I laid the fabric on the floor to cut it out… I mean, when I laid it out for his inspection. He was very helpful with providing me with plenty of distractions.

I made the camisole from only the bodice portion of Simplicity 8456. I’ve made this before and it fits me very well. The ribbon on the top is a little bit wider than was called for in the pattern. It was a bit too wide on the top edge, so I had to add darts.


Overall, I’m very pleased with this little set.

Yours in hard work, creativity, and a dash of Pixie Dust

Sarah





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pirate Belle, part 2

YouTube video associated with this blog The base pieces for this costume are not complicated. I used Simplicity 3677 for the blouse and the pants. The fabric I bought at Joann Fabrics and was exactly what I was hoping to find. It's a light and airy cotton gauze-type fabric. Also, I am in love with the delicate lace I found at Hobby Lobby that I used to trim the wrists. The blouse has elastic bands at the cuffs and a drawstring neckline. It is incredibly over sized, but the fabric gathers under corsets and pants nicely because it was so soft and light. The pants are a tan corduroy and also have elastic in the cuffs. (Did I mention Historical Accuracy TM was not a priority for this costume?) I still think it's beautiful. And now, for a few accessories. These make or break a costume, especially for a pirate. So many little things must be present for the costume to really say “Pirate”. This little hat was such a blast to create. I used a Yaya Han pattern, McCall's 7643. It ha...

In My Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room Dress

My Youtube video associated with this blog post  I am very pleased to present my Tiki Room dress. The Dress Shop brand from Disney has a 1950's-inspired sundress in this fabric. I do like it, but I don't wear sleeveless dresses. So, I thought I would make my own in a slightly different style. I still wanted a vintage dress, with a tropical vibe as was popular mid century. After much deliberation, I decided on Butterick 5880. It's a reprint of a 1951 pattern. I was so anxious to begin this dress. I don't know why exactly. It's not like I'm heading to Disney any time soon. But sometimes I just “get a bee in my bonnet”, as they say. And I can't do anything else until I scratch that itch. So I thoroughly cleaned my sewing studio, AKA the corner of my bedroom, and set to work. For my first run, I used a 101 Dalmatians bed sheet from the thrift store. It's old and worn, but it was less than $2 and it's a big piece of fabric. For my mock-ups, I don't ...

1950's Garter Belt-Unmentionables Through The Decades

YouTube associated with this blog post: https://youtu.be/e5Vf3-DzxFo For the 1950's, I thought I'd make something a lot more sassy then I usually sew. I've had this pattern for at least 6 or 7 years. It was too advanced for me at the time, but I fell in love with it and I bought it anyway. Mrs. Depew has the most beautiful patterns in her Etsy. She takes vintage patterns, many from French magazines, and makes the, available to all. There are many patterns in her shop I'd love to make. For this project, I used two of them. They are #2002 1950's Garter Belt Corselet ( http://mrsdepew.com/lingerie-patterns/corsets/french-corset-garter-belt.html ) and #2001 French Bra Corselet ( http://mrsdepew.com/lingerie-patterns/brassieres/french-bra-corselet.html ). I will write about the former this week, and the later next week. These patterns are PDF downloads, which is very convenient. These come in only a few sizes and don't include seam allowances. I printed t...