Skip to main content

A Very Merry Medieval Christmas Fantasy

My first medieval fair dress was made in maybe 2010 or 2011? I don’t really remember. I was part of the cast for the local Medieval Fair for many, many years, and this was my first costume. I wore it for several years and it served me well.  But by 2015, it was looking a little worse for wear. The trim around the neckline was getting ruined by this one particular necklace I often wore with it. (I know, I know. Be sensible and quit wearing jewelry that destroys costumes.) I was going to be walking in a Christmas parade with the Medieval Fair cast, and I just thought it needed a bit of an upgrade. And if I could give it a bit of holiday pizazz and bling, all the better. 



    I first removed the damaged trim. At Joann Fabrics, I found some really pretty red and gold brocade. It complemented the red main fabric and the gold lining of the sleeves rather well. So I bought a few yards of it and got to work. I decided to use the brocade as a trim, basically.  I don’t remember exactly how I did it now, 6 years later, but I used it on the neckline, the hem, the edge of the sleeves and to make a belt. I have seen several examples of 12th century manuscripts that seem to show embroidery in these areas. If I had wanted to be more historically accurate, I could have actually embroidered it. But there weren’t any fashion history police at the parade, so I was okay. It turned out so lovely. I really enjoyed walking and dancing in the parade with my friends. I have exactly one photo from that day. Anybody else terrible at remembering to get pictures of events? Just me then? Ok. Good to know.



    A few years later, I wanted to make a new underdress for this ensemble. I had some plain yellow cotton in my stash from somewhere. I don’t remember the pattern I used, but it’s a simple tunic dress. I bound the neckline and the sleeves hems in red bias tape. Near the neckline, I appliqued a little lace rose motif. I had a big scrap of red lace with roses in my stash, and I just cut out one motif.  This part of the costume is much more “Christmas Fantasy” than historically inspired. Which is not a bad thing, in my opinion. I think it’s sweet. I really need to wear this more. At least this blog post gives me an excuse to pull it out again for pictures. 


    As usual for my Medieval looks, I covered my head. Because I’m a lady. And a lady has got to have her jewels. I have a fibula brooch to fasten the front slit. I got it on Ebay, maybe? It was years ago now. And I have a pretty little stick pin for my veil that I got at the Medieval Fair of Norman, maybe? Again, it was so long ago. And I bought this wig just for my medieval looks.  It’s from Amazon. (More Medieval looks will be coming, possibly in the spring). 

This costume is special to me because it was made by our queen of the fair, who has since passed. Every time I wear it, I remember her and think about her husband and her son (my best friend).


Yours in hard work, creativity, and a dash of Pixie Dust

            
            Sarah




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bow-Tie Necklet

Are you, dear reader, in the mood for some winter accessories? Or, like me, are you already anxious for spring to arrive? The only good thing about winter is the cute accessories, I always say. I have a big canvas basket full of scarves, gloves, mittens, and hats. I have a black and also a purple peacoat. Plus my dramatic leopard print fleece cape, which I have previously discussed. Simply put, I don't like to be boring with my accessorizing. It is my only source of cheer and happiness when preparing for a cold winter's day. Ok, enough with the dramatics. On with the subject of today's blog. I knit this up several years ago. This is what the pattern calls a “Bow-Tie Necklet”. It is a scarf, but not in a traditional long rectangle shape. One end is pulled through a loop on the opposite side, forming a sort of bow tie. I have seen several examples in mid century photos of similar knit scarves that seem to have been made the same way. Of course, I forgot to save them/

Disney's The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Blue Dress

    Anyone who has spent more than 3 minutes with me knows I'm obsessed with Disney. My three favorite movies are Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin. So for Halloween 2011, I made a version of Ariel's blue dress. She wears during "Kiss the Girl" scene and when they are riding in the carriage around Eric's kingdom. . It was fairly easy to make. I used McCall's 4090 (View A), a simple skirt with a waistband. For the bodice/over corset, I used another McCall's, 4861 (view A). I didn't want side lacing, so I just traced each of the four pieces separately, then taped them together at the sides, overlapping the seam allowance. This left me with the back lacing only. When it was assembled, I roughly "eye-balled" the sweetheart-shaped neckline and cut it out. The shirt was made with Simplicity 3677. I just added cuffs to the sleeves instead of elastic. A couple things I lea

Reconstructing History RH017

This is review of RH017, 14th Century Kirtle or  Cotehardie. (Link to buy this patten at the end) I ordered it to make a new dress for the 2015 Medieval Fair of Norman. I had been playing a princess for many years, but decided on changing it up this year. I wanted to be a Bard, a poet/singer/general performer. Naturally, I could not wear the Princess gowns of years past.  It came in a timely fashion. I knew it had a booklet of historical notes, I didn't know it was going to come with a textbook! Seriously, this booklet is 15 pages long (including historical notes, bibliography, actual construction, and a section on period stiches) and is in an easy to digest format. The pattern is on regular paper, not the usual tissue paper, which I appreciated. I had trouble with setting the sleeves, but it was my own fault. I made it oversized purposefully to adjust down to my exact size, and didn't quite adjust the sleeves to match correctly the first time. My own fault. I will post