Skip to main content

A purple silk blouse

I love all shades of purple. Lavender, violet, plum, true purple. I love them all. So my friend knew I would love a piece of purple silk from his mothers stash. I was so grateful and I knew I needed to make it into something special. This blouse was cut out in the last hours of 2020. It took quite a while to find a pattern that I could fit on the available fabric. Finally, I found Simplicity 1316. I cut out a size 14. I was worried that it would be too small, so I used a 3/8 inch seam allowance throughout instead of 5/8 inch. Well, that was a mistake. It turned out too big, so I had to redo each seam. That made this project take longer then it should have. But in the end, it turned out great. To finish it off, I bought a purple crystal floral button at Hobby Lobby. A bit of elastic and I had a perfect closure for the neckline.

For this fancy vintage look, I paired the blouse with a skirt I made 2 years before. I think I made it for Christmas 2018. It was made from Simplicity 8250. It was made from a black curtain from the thrift store, believe it or not. The tee shirt I made to wear with the skirt sadly turned out too small. I was new to stretch fabrics and the fabric wasn't quite stretchy enough.  Repurposing fabrics from the thrift store is too fun. I think the skirt looks fabulous. I used horsehair braid on the hem. It really helped give it some fullness. This is a stiff but flexible trim, used to give body and stiffness to the hem. It is woven, almost like one of those finger traps. It's an interesting sewing notion, seen in many formal gowns even today. 

I wore my Splendette 1950's style purple potion earrings, necklace, and bangle. My black clutch isn't vintage, no older then the 1990s, I would say. It's made of weird metal pieces attached together, almost like scales. My true vintage Whiting and Davis mesh bags are made in a similar technique. I wore black sheer hose and my trusty character shoes to finish the ensemble. I felt like I needed to find a cocktail party to attend. So chic.

Also, I styled the blouse in a casual, modern way. Because let's face it, when am I going to go to a party? I wore dark straight jeans, with a teal blue/green thrift store cardigan. My cute purple tassel earrings added a nice touch. A possibly handpainted purse I also found at the thrift store matched perfectly, and finished the outfit with flair. It's perfect for shopping or maybe a movie with girlfriends.

I love that I can style even a fancy silk blouse for everyday wear. I don't often wear silk or silky type fabrics. My cold intolerence means that it often feels too chilly for me. We'll see how much wear I can get from it. But I do love it.

Yours in hard work, creativity, and a dash of pixie dust,

Sarah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bow-Tie Necklet

Are you, dear reader, in the mood for some winter accessories? Or, like me, are you already anxious for spring to arrive? The only good thing about winter is the cute accessories, I always say. I have a big canvas basket full of scarves, gloves, mittens, and hats. I have a black and also a purple peacoat. Plus my dramatic leopard print fleece cape, which I have previously discussed. Simply put, I don't like to be boring with my accessorizing. It is my only source of cheer and happiness when preparing for a cold winter's day. Ok, enough with the dramatics. On with the subject of today's blog. I knit this up several years ago. This is what the pattern calls a “Bow-Tie Necklet”. It is a scarf, but not in a traditional long rectangle shape. One end is pulled through a loop on the opposite side, forming a sort of bow tie. I have seen several examples in mid century photos of similar knit scarves that seem to have been made the same way. Of course, I forgot to save them/

Disney's The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Blue Dress

    Anyone who has spent more than 3 minutes with me knows I'm obsessed with Disney. My three favorite movies are Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin. So for Halloween 2011, I made a version of Ariel's blue dress. She wears during "Kiss the Girl" scene and when they are riding in the carriage around Eric's kingdom. . It was fairly easy to make. I used McCall's 4090 (View A), a simple skirt with a waistband. For the bodice/over corset, I used another McCall's, 4861 (view A). I didn't want side lacing, so I just traced each of the four pieces separately, then taped them together at the sides, overlapping the seam allowance. This left me with the back lacing only. When it was assembled, I roughly "eye-balled" the sweetheart-shaped neckline and cut it out. The shirt was made with Simplicity 3677. I just added cuffs to the sleeves instead of elastic. A couple things I lea

Reconstructing History RH017

This is review of RH017, 14th Century Kirtle or  Cotehardie. (Link to buy this patten at the end) I ordered it to make a new dress for the 2015 Medieval Fair of Norman. I had been playing a princess for many years, but decided on changing it up this year. I wanted to be a Bard, a poet/singer/general performer. Naturally, I could not wear the Princess gowns of years past.  It came in a timely fashion. I knew it had a booklet of historical notes, I didn't know it was going to come with a textbook! Seriously, this booklet is 15 pages long (including historical notes, bibliography, actual construction, and a section on period stiches) and is in an easy to digest format. The pattern is on regular paper, not the usual tissue paper, which I appreciated. I had trouble with setting the sleeves, but it was my own fault. I made it oversized purposefully to adjust down to my exact size, and didn't quite adjust the sleeves to match correctly the first time. My own fault. I will post