Skip to main content

1920's Bra and Taps-Unmentionables Through The Decades Project 2

In my Pinterest board for 1920's, I have many examples of period sewing instructions. These are from popular Women's magazines of the time. They showcase new trimming ideas for a dinner dress, or perhaps an easy one-hour afternoon dress (VERY popular, judging from the number I found). These were meant to keep the home sewist well-informed as to the latest fashion. Many of these instructions seemed to emphasize the ease of their directions and ideas.




 This lingerie set was inspired by a dinner dress instruction page (detail of that page shown below). In particular, it had directions to bead a beautiful bow on a formal dress with tiny seed beads. The finished effect is rather like a necklace. I loved the shape of the bow, but of course I didn't want to weigh down my delicate fabric with lots of beads. And beads on undergarments is not exactly practical.




So instead, I made “ribbon” from my fabric by sewing a 3/8th inch seam, trimming the allowance, and then turning and pressing it well. I finished by tying it into a bow, and handstitching it down. I placed one bow on the bra, and one on each side of the tap pants.



This fabric is an incredibly lightweight pink-mauve polyester that I found in my stash. I don't know where I got it, but I had like 4 yards. So I decided it was time to use some of it.





It is a very similar shade to the fabric I used for my tap pants from the 1930's set, and I did use the same pattern for these taps. But it's just different enough that I am satisfied. I used Simplicity 8510, but view C (the version without the yoke) instead. Also, I didn't sew all the way down the side seams, but left it open an inch or two like a vent at the hem. I found several variations on this theme, one of which is shown below.




I loved this pattern from Mrs. Depew.





And the Met has this gorgeous set from 1930s, but still very similar.

For the bra, I didn't really have a pattern that worked in my stash, and I am trying to use what I already have as much as possible. But then I had my 1980's pattern out on my table, and I realized that the camisole would work. The overall shape was very similar to what I had seen for the 1920's; flat, with very little shaping and two small darts. So I traced out just the top portion of the camisole on another piece of paper. I just had to extend the back a bit to allow for overlap and the hooks and eyes. I hand sewed two rows of eyes, for flexibility of sizing.





I will continue this series next time with the final piece of this set and some final thoughts.

Thanks for reading!

Yours in hard work, creativity, and a dash of pixie dust,
Sarah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pirate Belle, part 2

YouTube video associated with this blog The base pieces for this costume are not complicated. I used Simplicity 3677 for the blouse and the pants. The fabric I bought at Joann Fabrics and was exactly what I was hoping to find. It's a light and airy cotton gauze-type fabric. Also, I am in love with the delicate lace I found at Hobby Lobby that I used to trim the wrists. The blouse has elastic bands at the cuffs and a drawstring neckline. It is incredibly over sized, but the fabric gathers under corsets and pants nicely because it was so soft and light. The pants are a tan corduroy and also have elastic in the cuffs. (Did I mention Historical Accuracy TM was not a priority for this costume?) I still think it's beautiful. And now, for a few accessories. These make or break a costume, especially for a pirate. So many little things must be present for the costume to really say “Pirate”. This little hat was such a blast to create. I used a Yaya Han pattern, McCall's 7643. It ha...

In My Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room Dress

My Youtube video associated with this blog post  I am very pleased to present my Tiki Room dress. The Dress Shop brand from Disney has a 1950's-inspired sundress in this fabric. I do like it, but I don't wear sleeveless dresses. So, I thought I would make my own in a slightly different style. I still wanted a vintage dress, with a tropical vibe as was popular mid century. After much deliberation, I decided on Butterick 5880. It's a reprint of a 1951 pattern. I was so anxious to begin this dress. I don't know why exactly. It's not like I'm heading to Disney any time soon. But sometimes I just “get a bee in my bonnet”, as they say. And I can't do anything else until I scratch that itch. So I thoroughly cleaned my sewing studio, AKA the corner of my bedroom, and set to work. For my first run, I used a 101 Dalmatians bed sheet from the thrift store. It's old and worn, but it was less than $2 and it's a big piece of fabric. For my mock-ups, I don't ...

1950's Garter Belt-Unmentionables Through The Decades

YouTube associated with this blog post: https://youtu.be/e5Vf3-DzxFo For the 1950's, I thought I'd make something a lot more sassy then I usually sew. I've had this pattern for at least 6 or 7 years. It was too advanced for me at the time, but I fell in love with it and I bought it anyway. Mrs. Depew has the most beautiful patterns in her Etsy. She takes vintage patterns, many from French magazines, and makes the, available to all. There are many patterns in her shop I'd love to make. For this project, I used two of them. They are #2002 1950's Garter Belt Corselet ( http://mrsdepew.com/lingerie-patterns/corsets/french-corset-garter-belt.html ) and #2001 French Bra Corselet ( http://mrsdepew.com/lingerie-patterns/brassieres/french-bra-corselet.html ). I will write about the former this week, and the later next week. These patterns are PDF downloads, which is very convenient. These come in only a few sizes and don't include seam allowances. I printed t...