Skip to main content

From Dress to Purse Vol. 3-Orange and Pink Backpack

Once again, I found a dress that I loved at a thrift store that didn't fit. I absolutely loved the print. It was a sad day when I realized it was way too small. But happily, I know how to sew! It is a really pretty orange and pink floral. Orange has always been my least favorite color, as long as I can remember. But apparently I love it when mixed with pink. So weird. But whatever. I adore my new bag.




I'd never really made a backpack, so I thought I'd do that. When browsing my patterns, Simplicity 1439 caught my eye. It has several dainty and precious bags plus a backpack included in the pattern. It seems to have been inspired by Laura Ashley, perhaps? I loved it. For some reason, I really wanted to quilt the fabric. So I did. I quilted diamonds all across, at 1.5 inches apart, I believe. I always love using my walking foot on my machine when quilting any straight lines. That metal “arm” on the side helps me keeps my lines nice and even. A major goal for this year is to try to reduce my stash of fabric. So when I started to cut out pattern pieces, and I found I didn't have enough fabric, I searched my stash. This orange plaid had been sitting around for who knows how long. The two fabrics looked like they were made for each other. Look at these fabrics and tell me they aren't perfect together. I dare you. You can't.



These two piece eyelets took some muscle and time to install, let me tell you. I took a cardboard box, laid it down in the garage on the concrete, and just went to town hammering. Each one seemed to take forever, but I finally finished the last one. The orange cord was from Amazon, since I didn't find anything I liked locally. At first, I bought a 1/4” cord, but that turned out too small for the grommets. It looked ridiculous. So I reordered a 1/2” cord instead, and that looked much nicer.



It is a fairly straightforward pattern. I would rate it confident beginner. There are no zippers or much else that is too difficult. Except, like I said before, those grommets. They can be a problem. My tip is practice before on a scrap of fabric and take your time.



And now I have a beautiful backpack to take on adventures that will match my summer wardrobe! Do you have any big summer plans?

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pirate Belle, part 2

YouTube video associated with this blog The base pieces for this costume are not complicated. I used Simplicity 3677 for the blouse and the pants. The fabric I bought at Joann Fabrics and was exactly what I was hoping to find. It's a light and airy cotton gauze-type fabric. Also, I am in love with the delicate lace I found at Hobby Lobby that I used to trim the wrists. The blouse has elastic bands at the cuffs and a drawstring neckline. It is incredibly over sized, but the fabric gathers under corsets and pants nicely because it was so soft and light. The pants are a tan corduroy and also have elastic in the cuffs. (Did I mention Historical Accuracy TM was not a priority for this costume?) I still think it's beautiful. And now, for a few accessories. These make or break a costume, especially for a pirate. So many little things must be present for the costume to really say “Pirate”. This little hat was such a blast to create. I used a Yaya Han pattern, McCall's 7643. It ha...

In My Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room Dress

My Youtube video associated with this blog post  I am very pleased to present my Tiki Room dress. The Dress Shop brand from Disney has a 1950's-inspired sundress in this fabric. I do like it, but I don't wear sleeveless dresses. So, I thought I would make my own in a slightly different style. I still wanted a vintage dress, with a tropical vibe as was popular mid century. After much deliberation, I decided on Butterick 5880. It's a reprint of a 1951 pattern. I was so anxious to begin this dress. I don't know why exactly. It's not like I'm heading to Disney any time soon. But sometimes I just “get a bee in my bonnet”, as they say. And I can't do anything else until I scratch that itch. So I thoroughly cleaned my sewing studio, AKA the corner of my bedroom, and set to work. For my first run, I used a 101 Dalmatians bed sheet from the thrift store. It's old and worn, but it was less than $2 and it's a big piece of fabric. For my mock-ups, I don't ...

1950's Garter Belt-Unmentionables Through The Decades

YouTube associated with this blog post: https://youtu.be/e5Vf3-DzxFo For the 1950's, I thought I'd make something a lot more sassy then I usually sew. I've had this pattern for at least 6 or 7 years. It was too advanced for me at the time, but I fell in love with it and I bought it anyway. Mrs. Depew has the most beautiful patterns in her Etsy. She takes vintage patterns, many from French magazines, and makes the, available to all. There are many patterns in her shop I'd love to make. For this project, I used two of them. They are #2002 1950's Garter Belt Corselet ( http://mrsdepew.com/lingerie-patterns/corsets/french-corset-garter-belt.html ) and #2001 French Bra Corselet ( http://mrsdepew.com/lingerie-patterns/brassieres/french-bra-corselet.html ). I will write about the former this week, and the later next week. These patterns are PDF downloads, which is very convenient. These come in only a few sizes and don't include seam allowances. I printed t...