Skip to main content

1360's Medieval Fair Dress (Court of King Edward III)

In 2010, our King of Medieval Fair informed the cast he was no longer able to participate as he was moving to New Mexico. So, the next fall when auditions came up and rehearsals started, I met our new King. And with this new King came a new time period which was roughly 250 years later. We were now the court of King Edward III. I was now Princess Mary Plantagenet. A princess can NOT be so out of fashion, so clearly a new dress had to be made.

A home décor fabric, oddly enough, was my fabric of choice. No Sound of Music or Gone With The Wind curtain dress jokes please.  But yes, more then likely, someone somewhere has a couch covered in my fabric. It was the color I wanted, with some embroidery on it. The fabric softened after many cycles in both the washer and the dryer.


The top-most layer was planned and the pattern pieces cut out. However, I couldn't decide what color to make the underdress or the kirtle. Our fair's esteemed leader, Ann Marie, graciously gave me a length of tan linen out of the Court fabric stash that coordinated beautifully.


The first version of the train on the over dress, called a sideless surcoat, was ridiculous. Just laughable. I clearly had NO idea what I was doing. So, I had to cut it way down to a more reasonable length. It was still too big, but I could manage.


One of my favorite accessories in the veil. I think it really makes the costume complete. Unfortunately, it was too windy most of the shoot for the veil to cooperate. We did get a few good pictures.


Roll the credits! Dress and accessories (except circlet and belt) made and modeled by me, Photos by Jessica Karin Photography, Wig is dark brown (don't remember the exact shade) Arwen by Arda Wigs (borrowed from my roommate). I LOVE the length of this wig. So pretty.


This picture shows how the costume should be worn fashionably in 1360. Hair in braids and coiled in buns on the side of the head, and the veil pinned to a "headband" ribbon underneath. I had a few random accessories laying about, so I mixed and matched throughout the shoot. I didn't get a good shot of my hand beaded pouch that I made, so that will have to wait for another day.

This gown has been well worn for 5 years now. Medieval Fair is hard on clothes, I must say. Time for an update? We shall see!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bow-Tie Necklet

Are you, dear reader, in the mood for some winter accessories? Or, like me, are you already anxious for spring to arrive? The only good thing about winter is the cute accessories, I always say. I have a big canvas basket full of scarves, gloves, mittens, and hats. I have a black and also a purple peacoat. Plus my dramatic leopard print fleece cape, which I have previously discussed. Simply put, I don't like to be boring with my accessorizing. It is my only source of cheer and happiness when preparing for a cold winter's day. Ok, enough with the dramatics. On with the subject of today's blog. I knit this up several years ago. This is what the pattern calls a “Bow-Tie Necklet”. It is a scarf, but not in a traditional long rectangle shape. One end is pulled through a loop on the opposite side, forming a sort of bow tie. I have seen several examples in mid century photos of similar knit scarves that seem to have been made the same way. Of course, I forgot to save them/

Disney's The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Blue Dress

    Anyone who has spent more than 3 minutes with me knows I'm obsessed with Disney. My three favorite movies are Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin. So for Halloween 2011, I made a version of Ariel's blue dress. She wears during "Kiss the Girl" scene and when they are riding in the carriage around Eric's kingdom. . It was fairly easy to make. I used McCall's 4090 (View A), a simple skirt with a waistband. For the bodice/over corset, I used another McCall's, 4861 (view A). I didn't want side lacing, so I just traced each of the four pieces separately, then taped them together at the sides, overlapping the seam allowance. This left me with the back lacing only. When it was assembled, I roughly "eye-balled" the sweetheart-shaped neckline and cut it out. The shirt was made with Simplicity 3677. I just added cuffs to the sleeves instead of elastic. A couple things I lea

Reconstructing History RH017

This is review of RH017, 14th Century Kirtle or  Cotehardie. (Link to buy this patten at the end) I ordered it to make a new dress for the 2015 Medieval Fair of Norman. I had been playing a princess for many years, but decided on changing it up this year. I wanted to be a Bard, a poet/singer/general performer. Naturally, I could not wear the Princess gowns of years past.  It came in a timely fashion. I knew it had a booklet of historical notes, I didn't know it was going to come with a textbook! Seriously, this booklet is 15 pages long (including historical notes, bibliography, actual construction, and a section on period stiches) and is in an easy to digest format. The pattern is on regular paper, not the usual tissue paper, which I appreciated. I had trouble with setting the sleeves, but it was my own fault. I made it oversized purposefully to adjust down to my exact size, and didn't quite adjust the sleeves to match correctly the first time. My own fault. I will post